In the Media
Here are the latest media recommendations from our members on topics relating to prisons:
- On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City
Amazon says: The book explores the “pernicious effects of pervasive policing in America’s most disadvantaged neighborhoods.”
Online Education for all
TED lecture by Standford Professor Daphne Koller on the possibilities of online college education for all. As free online College classes become more common, can we make these available to the men and women behind the wall?
- AVP Workshop Video: AVP program in a prison in New Jersey.
- Houses of Healing Program at a Maine women’s prison.
- Female inmates learn to heal
- Women find freedom behind bars
- Voices Behind the Walls: Teen Empowerment in Somerville
- DOC Master Plan: Doc Master Plan
The governor developed a master plan for corrections in Massachusetts that was just published. (see) This document includes some predictions for the future needs, as well as thoughts about making the county jails and DOC work together more effectively. This isn’t light reading – but for those who are interested… its something to think about.
- Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion: See book on Amazon.com
A priest who works among gang members in one of the poorest areas of Los Angeles.
- No Remorse: Should a teen-ager be given a life sentence?: Article in the New Yorker
A heartbreaking article on the widespread practice of trying juveniles as adults.
- Jim Crow still Exists in America
- NPR interview with Michelle Alexander
- The New Jim Crow on Amazon.com
- The House I live in: The House I Live in
Documentary on the U.S. War on Drugs
- The Interrupters – Frontline: The Interrupters
Documentary film shot in Chicago: “A group of older former gang leaders is trying to “interrupt” shootings and protect their communities from the violence they once committed.
- Life After Murder: Five Men in Search of Redemption: Life After Murder on Amazon
An NPR interview with the author can be found at: NPR interview with Nancy Mullane
- The Arts of Contemplative Care: Pioneering Voices in Buddhist Chaplaincy and Pastoral Work: The Arts of Contemplative Care on Amazon