Programs Listed by Institution
- Basic Computer Skills: (14-week class), Running on Thursday mornings in spring 2017. Volunteers new to the prison system are welcome to an attend the current class to gain familiarity with the equipment and course material after all orientations are complete. New sections of the class can be led by one teacher or co-taught. MCI-Concord prefers to have multiple sessions of this program running simultaneously due to high demand and small class size.
- Kid’s Corner: (ongoing year round) Wed/Thu/Fri 3:30-5:30 pm or 5:30-7:30 pm; Sat/Sun 1:00-3:00 pm or 6:15-8:15 pm. Volunteers schedule their participation online. This opportunity works well for individuals with an erratic schedule.
- Gardening: (meets 2x / month March – October), Running on alternating Wednesday afternoons this year from 12:30 – 2:30 pm. May run on Monday afternoons next year. It is not necessary for volunteers to attend each session.
- Heartsaver CPR/AED: Please contact us for the schedule of this program. Volunteers need to be certified by the American Heart Association to teach this class. Size of the class depends on the number of volunteers facilitating.
- Parenting on the Inside: (5 sessions), Curriculum based on “Inside Out Dad” provided. This program has not begun, so the schedule is flexible. Facilitators can participate individually or in teams.
- Transforming Anger with Nonviolent Communication: (12-week class), Running on Tuesday nights in fall 2016. Apprenticeship in a prison classroom required.
Northeastern Correctional Center in Concord
- Father’s Group: (5 sessions), Anticipated to start in Feb 2017, but interested volunteers can contact the current facilitator for program background and strategies/insight.
- Gardening: This program is year round with a short break during the winter, and runs on Wednesday mornings from 7:30 – 9:00 am. Volunteers can miss sessions.
- Kid’s Corner: This program is year round, and runs Saturday and Sunday 12:15-3:15 pm. Volunteers need to be physically strong enough to bring out furniture and supplies from a storage closet. Most volunteers work one shift monthly with subs and schedule swapping arrangements possible.
- Job Search Skills: (4 sessions), Anticipated to run November and February with the possibility of more opportunities available.
- Library: This program is year round, and runs on Mondays every other week (except state holidays). Currently need– (1) one volunteer to select books at the Concord Public Library (this volunteer doesn’t go to the prison) and (2) one volunteer to pick up books at the library and bring them to the prison, distribute the books and gather new book requests. Most volunteers work once a month or as subs (when needed).
- Path of Freedom: (12 weeks), This program is year round, and runs on Monday nights. The lead facilitator(s) must complete the training offered by the Prison Mindfulness Institute.
Middlesex House of Correction in Billerica
- Houses of Healing: (6-week class), One or more volunteers are needed to restart this program. If interest, please contact us for more information.
- Money Smart: (based on curriculum developed by the FDIC), typically this class runs at night. New volunteers will work with an experienced facilitator, and have the option to run a class independently once trained in the program.
- Mindfulness Mediation for Veterans: This program is year round, and runs Monday afternoons from 12:15 – 1:30 pm
- Read To Me, Daddy: (5 week sessions in November and April/May), This opportunity runs on Wednesday afternoons from 12:30 – 2:30 pm
MCI Shirley in Shirley
- BEACON: (12 sessions), We welcome new volunteers to facilitate or co-facilitate this course.
- Transforming Anger with Nonviolent Communication: This program has been requested but is not yet underway. New facilitators could apprentice at either MCI Concord or NECC.
Souza Baranowski Correctional Center (SBCC) in Shirley
- Book Discussion Group: This program is year round, and runs Monday nights except during the summer.